Thursday, March 19, 2009

Ok , this blog is going to be very short. Maybe it’s the stress of the upcoming papers/exams, but this is the very first week that I don’t know what to write about in my blog. Or maybe I just really don’t like poetry.

I mean I get that the poems we’ve read and discussed in-class are another way “in” to the city, or rather another way of portraying the city, but why can’t the author simply write an article or essay expressing her ideas, instead of hiding what she wants to say about the city behind big mythical metaphors that anyone without lots of time for research simply doesn’t get?

I’m not saying that the poems we’ve read weren’t good. In fact, I’d say they pretty brilliant, especially in the way the poems work together as a collection and how the poems refer back to one another. I know they’re literary and aesthetic and all that, but that really isn’t for me. I don’t get poetry. Even if had had the time to look up all the words and images in the poems that I didn’t know, I still wouldn’t have gotten half the things we’ve discussed in-class. Now I see all the metaphors and references we have unraveled in our discussions, but only because they were explained to me.

All I can say is that I’m glad we’re done with the poetry and and can move on to a “real” story.

No comments:

Post a Comment